Sunday, April 29, 2012

Happiness Revisited

I feel the most happy and contented when I have just completed something well that is very challenging, whether mentally, physically, or both.  This article on flow reminded me of something that my dad once told me; that nothing worthwhile gets completed in a 9-5 job.  Although this may sound like an insult to anyone who works from 9-5, it is not.  What he meant, and what this article explains, is that success is a "unintended side-effect of one's personal dedication."   That success and happiness are both things that come from stretching our bodies and/or minds to do things that we are passionate about.  In my project I am currently towards the lower part of the "flow channel."  right now the work I am doing is fairly repetitive, but is a necessary part of my project.  Soon however I will move upwards towards the more challenging region as I must begin working on some techniques that are very new to me, such as bridle joints.

No comments:

Post a Comment