Saturday, May 5, 2012

Learning Observations

Learning involves memorization.  This has proven to be very true about my project, however my memorization is different than most.  Mine is physical memorization, teaching my body to be able to plane more accurately, to be able to saw exactly to a line.  I have vastly improved my woodworking skills throughout this project.  Being in the shop regularly has really helped with this.

My project is a perfect example of how learning is inconclusive.  Although I already possess the basic skills needed for this project, at every turn there are opportunities to learn new techniques and improve my skills.  For example in the joinery for the base, the joints a modified version of something I have done before, but are slightly different. The person I interviewed, Chris Lowe, told me that it takes at least 10 years to begin to feel comfortable with this work, but even for someone who has worked as a woodworker all their life, there are always new skills and techniques to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment