Thursday, March 29, 2012

Planning

I have completed the mapping out of how I will cut up the boards to ensure the most attractive grain will be showcased.  In every project there is one surface that is the focal point of the design.  For the music stand the main focus is the area where the music will be put, a roughly 22" by 13" surface.  Because 13" wide cherry is difficult to find and also very expensive, I will glue up two boards to get the width.  When gluing up two boards like this is is essential that the grain matches well, and that the grain is going in the same direction.  I have marked the direction with chalk "v's".

I chose the most interesting part of the board, which has lots of interesting grain and color.  

Mapping out the walnut is very easy:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment