Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lumber


This Friday I was finally able to go and buy lumber at Danby Hardwoods.  I ended up choosing some cherry and walnut, which is different than I had originally planned.  The beech they had was too boring and the quartersawn white oak was too narrow.  The cherry I ended up buying is an interesting piece.  It seems to have some mineral deposits (the black streaks), and interesting grain which give the wood a lot of character.  It will be perfect for the stand.  Because of the sapwood, the cherry was much cheaper than I anticipated, so the total cost was only about $50.  The walnut is steamed, which is a commercial process that darkens the sapwood, but also makes the walnut lose some of its complex colors.  However this is fine as I just need it for the feet.  Hopefully today I will do some work on mapping out components, but unfortunately this week will not likely be very productive as I will be very busy with the musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment